5 simple stress management techniquesRelieve stress with these simple stress management techniques.
Stress is caused by many different reasons, not all of which we have any control over. Stress is labeled into one of two categories: external and internal.
External stressors may be as simple as being too hot or too cold, or complicated and come from the environment we are in, such as bad working conditions, abusive relationships.
Internal stressors may be physical problems such as a cold or the flue, or be psychological, such as worrying, anger and loneliness.
These two forms can be further broken down into acute or chronic.
1. Breathe. When you find yourself in a stressful situation, take a deep breath. Continue doing so until you feel calmer.
2. Get away from the situation or go outside for fresh air. Taking a deep breath of fresh air can do wonders. Go back to the situation when you feel calmer.
3. Learn to let go. The next time you find yourself getting stressed, decide if the matter is really important to you. If it is not, make the conscious choice to ignore the situation. Heated discussions and anger not only cause stress, but also raise blood pressure levels.
4. Reward yourself. Anytime you've had a very stressful day, reward yourself with small pleasures. This can be as simple as a candy bar, a long bath, watching a movie or reading a few chapters of that best seller you haven't found time to read. By allowing yourself some downtime, it rejuvenates your mind and body, giving you the energy you need to face the next stressful situation.
5. Manage your time. It doesn't matter what you read in magazines or what the television tells you, the fact remains; you can't do it all. Learn to prioritize, worry about accomplishing the things you have to do, not the things you think you should do. Learn to delegate, ask for help when you need it. Pick one thing that has been bugging you and take care of it. Get it out of the way, and move on to the next. As you cross things off your list, your attitude will change and you will feel better and less stressed.